Hindi Name: Torai
A long vegetable with a dark green ridged skin and a white spongy flesh with soft seeds. It is prepared by removing the skin of the vegetable and then cooked. Ridge gourd is very prominent in Indian cooking. It is called as sponge gourd in Chinese cuisine.
Ridge gourds stuffed with spices can be made into a curry that is served with rice and rotis. It is a tasty addition to dal or sambar. It is also often cooked alone with or without gravy. The vegetable is also prepared in milk or as a stir fry covered in batter. It can also be added in soups and stir fried dishes or used as a vegetable .It can also be used as a snack, dipped in chickpea batter and deep fried.
It grows naturally in Karnataka’s Malenadu reagion [Western Ghats]. It is best consumed while it is still tender and green. Widely used across India as a vegetable in curries. It is also used as a snack Bhajji, dipped in chickpea batter and deep fried for that perfect merger. It is just as popular for its medicinal value as it is as a vegetable.
It is high in fiber and is used to make juice which is nutritious and highly recommended for jaundice patients.
Ridge gourd has been used since ancient times for its nutritional value and finds mention in various kinds of Ayurvedic preparations.
1. There is a high content of dietary fiber and very low saturated fat. It is good for people who want to lose weight.
2. Ridge gourd juice is consumed as a remedy for jaundice. It is rich in Vitamin C, thiamin and riboflavin.
3. It also contains magnesium, iron and manganese.
4. It helps purify the blood, strengthens functioning of the liver and provides relief from intoxication.
5. It contains peptides that help regulate blood glucose levels.
6. Ridge gourd leaves are used for curing diabetes and conjunctivitis. The juice from the leaves is applied as an ointment for treating all types of skin diseases.
Note: It is essential to choose ridge gourds that are deep green in colour, tender and free of spots.
Did you know: Once the fruit dries out, Ridge Gourd is used as a natural scrubber and washing sponge.
Allowed copying with active link to the source
© 2016 All Rights Reserved