Hindi Name: Seb
Apples are one of the most widely cultivated tree fruits. They grow on small, deciduous trees. The proverb "An apple a day keeps the doctor away”, addressing the health effects of the fruit, dates from 19th century Wales. According to researchers, apples may reduce the risk of colon cancer, prostate cancer and lung cancer.
Often eaten raw, with or without skin, apples are used in a variety of desserts and salads. For maximum benefit from this nutrient rich fruit, it is consumed raw and preferably with skin (for organic apples). There is a great loss of nutrients when apples are processed into sauce or juice.
Types and Availability
Apples are of many types, but the ones that are commonly available in India are Fuji, Washington Red, Granny Smith and the Royal Gala Himachali Apples. The states that produce apples are J&K, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Arunachal Pradesh.
1. Pectin in apples is a type of fiber that helps lower “bad” cholesterol.
2. The presence of an antioxidant quercetin helps boost the immune system and improve lung function.
3. Apples have a lot of soluble fiber and hence help reduce the risk of diabetes.
4. Due to the presence of anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients, apples are known to help reduce the risk of Asthma.
5. Apple is a high fiber food and so it helps in good digestion and bowel movements.
6. Apples stimulate the production of saliva and help reduce tooth decay.
7. They are known to be extremely beneficial in the production of colon cancer.
8. According to some researchers, apples have also proved beneficial for age related problems including Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
Allowed copying with active link to the source
© 2016 All Rights Reserved